Monday 5 September 2011

Konii C Burns

Name: Konii C Burns


Digital photo, unretouched from mobile phone. 2010.


I came across this bike as I wandering the streets of Melbourne. Walking for hours, as my mother was attended to in ICU. My mother died on Boxing Day 2010.


At this time I was without a home or studio. Everything I owned jammed into my van. My mobile phone was the only available source of which to catch this piece of inspiration. Having to face the death of a parent is something you can never prepare for. Through Hazel’s blog, I felt a common thread. Hazel was also experiencing this at the time with her father battling cancer.


On the day I found this bike I read her blog “no 1 daughter.”


Hazel’s father had given her dog tags with this engraved.  Reading that particular blog entry I wept whole heartedly, for Hazel and for myself.


As I walked, this bike, without tyres, strapped to a post, stopped me in my tracks and screamed Hazel to me.    I thought of a little girl riding her bike, perhaps Hazel’s father was the one to teach her. For many reasons this bike stopped me. Predominately being the colour. No less than Dooney pink.
www.koniicburns.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment